For over 25 years, Citizen Schools has been a pioneer in educational equity. Since opportunity, unlike talent, is not equally distributed, we have provided hands-on learning experiences that ignite curiosity, build confidence and expand horizons for over 50,000 underrepresented middle school students. Together with our partners, including 25,000 career mentors, we have exposed students to ideas and connections, helping them access even better opportunities than previous generations.
Today, we engage underserved students in hands-on learning, in school and after school. Our students are creators and problem-solvers, not just consumers. They become scientists, artists, mathematicians, engineers, writers, and programmers. We also apply best practices from our direct service work to systems-level advancement of STEM mentorship and learning by working with communities.
Together we are transforming education in school, after school, and across communities.
As our Marketing Director, you will lead the strategy and execution of marketing for Citizen Schools, amplify our brand, and play a critical role in fundraising and development campaigns.
This is a full-time position for an immediate start, no later than August 2021, and will report to the Chief Growth Officer. Candidates from one of our current markets preferred: Greater Boston area, New York City, Bay Area California/Southern California, Charlotte North Carolina, Houston or Dallas, TX, or Dayton/Cincinnati, OH. Remote work is an option, and some travel may be required.
Strategy Development and Lead Execution
- Work in partnership with The Chief Growth Officer and members of executive team to define divisional goals and annual planning
- Build brand awareness and favorability for all our programs and services
- Cultivate and lead strategy and implementation of thought leadership opportunities, in collaboration with Program and External Engagement, as well as external partners
- Develop strategy for effective marketing support of our community and district and school partnerships teams
Marketing Content and Campaign Execution
- Develop content for our owned channels from ideation to execution of:
- Email marketing
- Website maintenance: citizenschools.org and makersandmentors.org
- Social media: develop and maintain content calendars, draft and schedule posts and monitor results
- Support campaigns that drive attendance and/or fundraising:
- Annual appeal and year-end appeals
- Events: fundraising and development events, program-related events (ex: Career Connections), thought-leadership events (ex: Virtual Coffee Hour, BIPOC leadership series, SXSW EDU)
- Paid marketing support and execution including:
- Paid social media
- Swag and branded materials
- Job boards
- Explore other media channels, evaluate and make recommendations
- Recruitment Marketing with explicit DEI goals
- Americorps Service members: Maker Fellows, Teaching Fellows
- General staff
- Part-time opportunities: Teaching Associates and Interns
- Develop project plans
- Lead strategy and write project briefs
- Use Asana and other project management tools to track tasks and keep the team delivering against deadlines, budgets, and goals
- Collaborate across the organization to drive toward success completion of projects
Analytics and Optimization
- Develop campaign reports
- Track social media analytics, including: spend, reach, engagement
- Website analytics: visitors, engagement, goals, and website trends
- Work closely with the Marketing team to analyze, test, and make optimizations
- Support the planning and execution of internal meetings: Town Halls, Board Meetings, National Team Meetings, Marketing Team Meetings, Growth Team Meetings
- Help ensure brand consistency by developing resources to support internal teams: Brand Guidelines, toolkits, and templates
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- 8+ years of marketing or advertising experience
- Background in education or nonprofit work; strongly preferred
- Passion for and commitment to Citizen Schools’ mission and vision
- Training and experience with anti-racist practices and a commitment to cultivating a diverse, equitable, just, and inclusive workplace
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; copywriting/content writing experience required
- History of managing toward budgets
- Detail-oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects, tasks and prioritize among requests
- Demonstrate a history of project management best practices
- Proficiency with digital marketing platforms: social media (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter), Hootsuite, Mailchimp, Squarespace, and Google analytics
- Track record of data, analytics, and the application of insights to optimization
- Strong team orientation and ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups
- Desire and excitement to model Citizen Schools’ core values: Confidence, Curiosity, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Perseverance and Teamwork
- The fundamental belief that all students can achieve academic and professional success
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This is a full-time position with an annual salary range of $75,000 - $85,000; compensation is competitive with similar roles at non-profit organizations of comparable size and commensurate with experience. Benefits include generous flexible PTO policy, medical, dental and vision coverage, 403b retirement plan with a match, professional development stipend and 15+ paid holidays a year including a winter break.
ABOUT CITIZEN SCHOOLS
Citizen Schools helps all students to thrive in school and beyond through hands-on learning and career mentors. Our vision is that all students have experiences and career mentors that ignite curiosity, build confidence, and help them develop into the next generation of leaders. Together we are transforming education in school, after school, and across communities.
To learn more about our work, please visit www.citizenschools.org.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Citizen Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, cultural heritage, ancestry, political belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability or veteran status. Citizen Schools is compliant with the American with Disabilities Act and we are committed to making special accommodations for your interview or work as a member of our team. If specific accommodations are needed, please contact us and we will work to accommodate your needs.