Citizen Schools seeks a talented, enthusiastic, and diverse cohort of educators to serve as part-time Teaching Associates (TAs) in Massachusetts for the 2018-2019 academic year. Lead a classroom of 15-20 students hands-on throughout the extended day program through running structured homework sessions, teaching supplemental lessons, and facilitating apprenticeships. TAs work between up to 25 hours per week, Monday - Friday in the afternoon. Schedules vary by campus. In addition to serving on campus, TAs also have self-managed hours each week for preparation and communication.
- Customize and deliver hands-on, engaging curriculum STEM subjects
- Partner with volunteers to create and facilitate two high-quality apprenticeships per semester
- Inspire students to set and achieve ambitious academic and personal goals
- Partner with families, colleagues, and school staff to support student growth and hold students to consistently high expectations
- Participate in Citizen Schools’ system of student incentives, recognition, and consequences
- Create opportunities for students that strengthen the connection between academic success, college, and career.
- Collect and track student data in order to make decisions for individual students and the program
- Create and reinforce a culture of achievement and the idea that hard work + opportunity = success
- Build and leverage relationships with students, families, volunteers, peers, and the school community
- Plan and manage logistics for events both on- and off-campus
- Attend monthly professional development classes to build instructional capacity
- Knowledge of and commitment to the Citizen Schools’ mission
- Academic skills – proficiency in middle school subjects
- Coaching skills and ability to provide and receive constructive feedback
- Commitment to teamwork and collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Experience working with youth; experience working with middle school youth is ideal
- Ability to build relationships and influence students, colleagues, and community members
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong detail orientation, time management, and organization skills
- Spanish skills a plus
- Organization: Uses a consistent practice to manage materials, information, and commitments in order to successfully meet expectations in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent Communicator: Demonstrates active, intentional, and ongoing engagement with a diverse range of individuals and groups. Routinely makes room for multiple perspectives.
- Achievement: Goal-oriented mindset takes personal ownership for results and has a track record of overcoming barriers to achieve ambitious outcomes.
- Commitment to Service: Mobilizer who believes education is a vital project that requires community-wide support.
ABOUT CITIZEN SCHOOLS
All children deserve the opportunity to discover and achieve their dreams. Citizen Schools makes this possible for thousands of high-need middle school students nationwide through partnerships with public districts in 30 schools in 6 states that extend the school day and introduce volunteer and paid adults to increase hands-on learning opportunities. Extended Learning Time or ELT is an evidence-based model, that consistently accelerates the rate of student learning, reduces absenteeism, leads to more students reaching grade-level proficiency, and prepares students for college and beyond. You can review our results at http://bit.ly/CSresults13 or see our impact first hand through the story of one of our students .
We are on a mission to reimagine the learning day, and with partners like Cisco, Fidelity, Biogen and AmeriCorps, we are getting closer to closing the opportunity and achievement gaps every day
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT: Citizen Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, cultural heritage, ancestry, political belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability or veteran status. Citizen Schools is compliant with the American with Disabilities Act and we are committed to making special accommodations for your interview or work as a member of our team.